Last Updated: April 28, 2021
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ARBITRATION FOR U.S. CUSTOMERS: WHEN YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS YOU ARE AGREEING (WITH LIMITED EXCEPTION) TO RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE BETWEEN YOU AND FOSTER THROUGH BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION RATHER THAN IN COURT. PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY SECTION 17 “DISPUTE RESOLUTION” BELOW FOR DETAILS REGARDING ARBITRATION.
1. Agreement to Terms. By using our Services, you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you don’t agree to be bound by these Terms, do not use the Services.
3. Changes to these Terms or the Services. We may update the Terms from time to time in our sole discretion. If we do, we’ll let you know by posting the updated Terms on the Site, to the App and/or may also send other communications. It’s important that you review the Terms whenever we update them or you use the Services. If you continue to use the Services after we have posted updated Terms it means that you accept and agree to the changes. If you don’t agree to be bound by the changes, you may not use the Services anymore. Because our Services are evolving over time we may change or discontinue all or any part of the Services, at any time and without notice, at our sole discretion.
4. Who May Use the Services? You may use the Services only if you are 18 years or older and capable of forming a binding contract with Foster, and not otherwise barred from using the Services under applicable law.
5. Feedback. We appreciate feedback, comments, ideas, proposals and suggestions for improvements to the Services (“Services Improvement Suggestions”). If you choose to submit Site Improvement Suggestions, you agree that we are free to use it without any restriction or compensation to you.
6. One-Time Payments and Subscriptions. Foster requires payment of a fee for use of the Services (or certain portions thereof) and you agree to pay such fees. You have the option of purchasing a subscription (“Subscription”) for such use.
- General. When you purchase a Subscription (a “Transaction”), you expressly authorize us (or our third-party payment processor) to charge you for such Transaction. We may ask you to supply additional information relevant to your Transaction, including your credit card number, the expiration date of your credit card and your email and postal addresses for billing and notification (such information, “Payment Information”). You represent and warrant that you have the legal right to use all payment method(s) represented by any such Payment Information. When you initiate a Transaction, you authorize us to provide your Payment Information to third parties so we can complete your Transaction and to charge your payment method for the type of Transaction you have selected (plus any applicable taxes and other charges). You may need to provide additional information to verify your identity before completing your Transaction (such information is included within the definition of Payment Information). By initiating a Transaction, you agree to the pricing, payment and billing policies applicable to such fees and charges, as posted or otherwise communicated to you. All payments for Transactions are non-refundable and non-transferable except as expressly provided in these Terms. All fees and applicable taxes, if any, are payable in United States dollars.
- Subscriptions. If you purchase a Subscription, you will be charged the quarterly Subscription fee, plus any applicable taxes, and other charges (“Subscription Fee”), at the beginning of your Subscription and each quarter thereafter, at the then-current Subscription Fee. BY PURCHASING A SUBSCRIPTION, YOU AUTHORIZE FOSTER TO INITIATE RECURRING NON-REFUNDABLE PAYMENTS AS SET FORTH BELOW. If you purchase a Subscription, we (or our third-party payment processor) will automatically charge you each quarter after the commencement of your Subscription, using the Payment Information you have provided until you cancel your Subscription. By agreeing to these Terms and electing to purchase a Subscription, you acknowledge that your Subscription has recurring payment features and you accept responsibility for all recurring payment obligations prior to cancellation of your Subscription by you or Foster. Your Subscription continues until cancelled by you or we terminate your access to or use of the Services or Subscription in accordance with these Terms.
- Cancelling Subscription. If something unexpected happens in the course of completing a Transaction, we reserve the right to cancel your Transaction for any reason; if we cancel your Transaction we’ll refund any payment you have already remitted to us for such Transaction. Without limiting the foregoing, you may cancel your Subscription at any time, but please note that such cancellation will be effective at the end of the then-current Subscription period. EXCEPT AS SET FORTH ABOVE WITH RESPECT TO YOUR INITIAL SUBSCRIPTION PURCHASE, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND OF ANY PORTION OF THE SUBSCRIPTION FEE PAID FOR THE THEN CURRENT SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD AT THE TIME OF CANCELLATION. To cancel, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be responsible for all Subscription Fees (plus any applicable taxes and other charges) incurred for the then-current Subscription period. If you cancel, your right to use the Services will continue until the end of your then current Subscription period and will then terminate without further charges.
7. Your Content.
- Posting Content. Our Services may allow you to store or share content such as text (in posts or communications with others), stories, drafts, files, documents, images, music, software, audio and video. Anything (other than Services Improvement Suggestions) that you post or otherwise make available through the Services is referred to as “Member Content”. Foster does not claim any ownership rights in any Member Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to your Member Content.
- Permissions to Your Member Content. You retain all ownership rights in your Member Content but you grant Foster the following license to use your Member Content: By making your Member Content available through the Foster Services you hereby grant to Foster a non-exclusive, transferable, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free and sublicensable license with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit and otherwise exploit your Member Content in connection with operating and providing the Services. This license includes the right of other users to review, edit, provide feedback and modify your Member Content. In other words, you give Foster the right to use and display your Member Content to enable us to provide you with the Foster Services and to allow other members to edit your Member Content.
- Your Responsibility for Member Content. You are solely responsible for all your Member Content. You represent and warrant that you have (and will have) all rights that are necessary to grant us the license rights in your Member Content under these Terms. You represent and warrant that neither your Member Content, nor your use and provision of your Member Content to be made available through the Services, nor any use of your Member Content by Foster or its users on or through the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
- Foster’s Intellectual Property. We may make available through the Services content that is subject to our intellectual property rights, such as text, images, designs or sounds that we provide to you via the Services. We retain all rights to our content, but not to your Member Content.
8. Rights and Terms for Apps.
- App License. If you comply with these Terms, Foster grants to you a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable license, with no right to sublicense, to download and install the App on your personal computers, mobile handsets, tablets, wearable devices, and/or other devices and to run the App solely for your own personal non-commercial purposes. Except as expressly permitted in these Terms, you may not: (i) copy, modify or create derivative works based on the App; (ii) distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend or rent the App to any third party; (iii) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the App (unless applicable law permits, despite this limitation); or (iv) make the functionality of the App available to multiple users through any means.
- Additional Information: Apple App Store. This Section 8(b) applies to any App that you acquire from the Apple App Store or use on an iOS device. Apple has no obligation to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the App. In the event of any failure of the App to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple, and Apple will refund the App purchase price to you (if applicable) and, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App. Apple is not responsible for addressing any claims by you or any third party relating to the App or your possession and use of it, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the App fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation. Apple is not responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any third-party claim that your possession and use of the App infringe that third party’s intellectual property rights. Apple and its subsidiaries, are third-party beneficiaries of these Terms, and upon your acceptance of the Terms, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms against you as a third-party beneficiary thereof. You represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a terrorist-supporting country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties. You must also comply with any applicable third-party terms of service when using the App.
9. General Prohibitions and Foster’s Enforcement Rights. You agree not to do any of the following:
- Post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Member Content that: (i) infringes, misappropriates or violates a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, our Community Guidelines (available here), any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iii) is fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive as defined under applicable laws; (iv) is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive; (v) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (vi) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any person or entity; or (vii) promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances;
- Use, display, mirror or frame the Services or any individual element within the Services, Foster’s name, any Foster trademark, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without Foster’s express written consent;
- Access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Services, Foster’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Foster’s providers;
- Attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of any Foster system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
- Avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Foster or any of Foster’s providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Services;
- Attempt to access or search the Services or download content from the Services using any engine, software, tool, agent, device or mechanism (including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools or the like) other than the software and/or search agents provided by Foster or other generally available third-party web browsers;
- Send any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, email, junk mail, spam, chain letters or other form of solicitation;
- Use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a Foster trademark, logo URL or product name without Foster’s express written consent;
- Use the Services, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose or for the benefit of any third party or in any manner not permitted by these Terms;
- Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information;
- Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Services;
- Interfere with, or attempt to interfere with, the access of any user, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, or mail-bombing the Services;
- Collect or store any personally identifiable information from the Services from other users of the Services without their express permission;
- Impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- Violate any applicable law or regulation; or
- Encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
Foster is not obligated to monitor access to or use of the Services or to review or edit any content. However, we have the right to do so for the purpose of operating the Services, to ensure compliance with these Terms or our Community Guidelines and to comply with applicable law or other legal requirements. We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to remove or disable access to any content, including Member Content, at any time and without notice, including, but not limited to, if we, at our sole discretion, consider it objectionable or in violation of these Terms or our Community Guidelines. We have the right to investigate violations of these Terms or conduct that affects the Services. We may also consult and cooperate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the law.
10. DMCA/Copyright Policy. Foster respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is Foster’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances account holders who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders. Please see Foster’s Copyright and IP Policy for further information.
11. Links to Third Party Websites or Resources. The Services (including the App) may allow you to access third-party websites or other resources. We provide access only as a convenience and are not responsible for the content, products or services on or available from those resources or links displayed on such websites. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from, your use of any third-party resources.
12. Termination. We may suspend or terminate your access to and use of the Services, including suspending access to or terminating your account, at our sole discretion, at any time and without notice to you. You may cancel your account at any time by sending us an email at [email@example.com]. Upon any termination, discontinuation or cancellation of the Services or your account, the following Sections will survive: 6(a), 6(b), 6(c) (only for payments due and owing to Foster prior to the termination), 7(b), 7(c), 7(e), 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18.
13. Warranty Disclaimers. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure, or error-free basis. We make no warranty regarding the quality, accuracy, timeliness, truthfulness, completeness or reliability of any information or content on the Services.
14. Indemnity. You will indemnify and hold Foster and its officers, directors, employees and agents, harmless from and against any claims, disputes, demands, liabilities, damages, losses, and costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees arising out of or in any way connected with (a) your access to or use of the Services, (b) your Member Content, or (c) your violation of these Terms.
15. Limitation of Liability.
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NEITHER FOSTER NOR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SERVICES WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOST REVENUES, LOST SAVINGS, LOST BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY, LOSS OF DATA OR GOODWILL, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT FOSTER OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, EVEN IF A LIMITED REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW OF THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION, IN NO EVENT WILL FOSTER’S TOTAL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES EXCEED THE AMOUNTS YOU HAVE PAID OR ARE PAYABLE BY YOU TO FOSTER FOR USE OF THE SERVICES OR ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100), IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY PAYMENT OBLIGATIONS TO FOSTER, AS APPLICABLE.
- THE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN FOSTER AND YOU.
16. Governing Law and Forum Choice. These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act, federal arbitration law, and the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. Except as otherwise expressly set forth in Section 17 “Dispute Resolution,” the exclusive jurisdiction for all Disputes (defined below) that you and Foster are not required to arbitrate will be the state and federal courts located in the County of Los Angeles, and you and Foster each waive any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts.
17. Dispute Resolution.
- Mandatory Arbitration of Disputes. We each agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof or the use of the Services (collectively, “Disputes”) will be resolved solely by binding, individual arbitration and not in a class, representative or consolidated action or proceeding. You and Foster agree that the U.S. Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of these Terms, and that you and Foster are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. This arbitration provision shall survive termination of these Terms.
- Exceptions. As limited exceptions to Section 17(a) above: (i) we both may seek to resolve a Dispute in small claims court if it qualifies; and (ii) we each retain the right to seek injunctive or other equitable relief from a court to prevent (or enjoin) the infringement or misappropriation of our intellectual property rights.
- Conducting Arbitration and Arbitration Rules. The arbitration will be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) under its Consumer Arbitration Rules (the “AAA Rules”) then in effect, except as modified by these Terms. The AAA Rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879. A party who wishes to start arbitration must submit a written Demand for Arbitration to AAA and give notice to the other party as specified in the AAA Rules. The AAA provides a form Demand for Arbitration at www.adr.org. Any arbitration hearings will take place in the county (or parish) where you live, unless we both agree to a different location. The parties agree that the arbitrator shall have exclusive authority to decide all issues relating to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability and scope of this arbitration agreement.
- Arbitration Costs. Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA Rules, and we won’t seek to recover the administration and arbitrator fees we are responsible for paying, unless the arbitrator finds your Dispute frivolous. If we prevail in arbitration we’ll pay all of our attorneys’ fees and costs and won’t seek to recover them from you. If you prevail in arbitration you will be entitled to an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses to the extent provided under applicable law.
- Injunctive and Declaratory Relief. Except as provided in Section 17(b) above, the arbitrator shall determine all issues of liability on the merits of any claim asserted by either party and may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by that party’s individual claim. To the extent that you or we prevail on a claim and seek public injunctive relief (that is, injunctive relief that has the primary purpose and effect of prohibiting unlawful acts that threaten future injury to the public), the entitlement to and extent of such relief must be litigated in a civil court of competent jurisdiction and not in arbitration. The parties agree that litigation of any issues of public injunctive relief shall be stayed pending the outcome of the merits of any individual claims in arbitration.
- Class Action Waiver. YOU AND FOSTER AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, if the parties’ Dispute is resolved through arbitration, the arbitrator may not consolidate another person’s claims with your claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding. If this specific provision is found to be unenforceable, then the entirety of this Dispute Resolution section shall be null and void.
- Severability. With the exception of any of the provisions in Section 17(f) of these Terms (“Class Action Waiver”), if an arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction decides that any part of these Terms is invalid or unenforceable, the other parts of these Terms will still apply.
18. General Terms.
- Reservation of Rights. Foster and its licensors exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Services, including all associated intellectual property rights. You acknowledge that the Services are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of the United States and foreign countries. You agree not to remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Services.
- Entire Agreement. These Terms constitute the entire and exclusive understanding and agreement between Foster and you regarding the Services, and these Terms supersede and replace all prior oral or written understandings or agreements between Foster and you regarding the Services. If any provision of these Terms is held invalid or unenforceable by an arbitrator or a court of competent jurisdiction, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the other provisions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect. You may not assign or transfer these Terms, by operation of law or otherwise, without Foster’s prior written consent. Any attempt by you to assign or transfer these Terms, without such consent, will be null. Foster may freely assign or transfer these Terms without restriction. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
- Notices. Any notices or other communications provided by Foster under these Terms will be given: (i) via email; or (ii) by posting to the Services. For notices made by email, the date of receipt will be deemed the date on which such notice is transmitted.
- Waiver of Rights. Foster’s failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of such right or provision. The waiver of any such right or provision will be effective only if in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of Foster. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms, the exercise by either party of any of its remedies under these Terms will be without prejudice to its other remedies under these Terms or otherwise.
19. Contact Information. If you have any questions about these Terms or the Services, please contact Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.